South Africa June 13th – 26th 2019
(subject to minor changes)
- June 13, 2019, 7:58 p.m., depart from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, Delta Airlines for non-stop to Johannesburg, South Africa. Enjoy the tremendous Delta in-flight service featuring drinks, dinner, lunch, breakfast and snack. The individual entertainment includes latest movies, news and television program.
- June 14, 2019, 5:35 p.m. arrive in Johannesburg, South Africa. (Johannesburg is six hours ahead of EST in the United States.)
- Our South African tour guide, Rev. Dr. Joseph Tshawane, Moderator, emeritus, South African Presbyterian Church, meets group at airport.
- Bus transport to the Historical Michelangelo Hotel.
- Dinner and orientation in the Mandela Mall adjacent to the hotel.
- Tour breath taking “Apartheid Museum,” which explains the struggle for freedom in South Africa.
- Shopping and lunch in the Eastgate Mall.
- Tour sites in Soweto: Mandela’s home where he was arrested; Winne Mandela’s home; Hector Peterson Memorial first youth killed in the “Soweto Massacre;” and the Regina Mundi Catholic Church which hosted the meeting in the struggle against Apartheid.
- Evening free to enjoy the night activities of the city of “Gold,” Johannesburg.
- Early morning departure to Pretoria, capitol of South Africa and the Administration Buildings where President Nelson Mandela took his oath of office.
- Drive two hours through townships and sugarcane fields to the resort area of Sun City, “A World within a City.” Visit the Valley of Waves, golf; Sun City Casino, Sun Central and The Lost Palace.
- Mobile Safari searching for the big five game animals, lion, leopard, rhinoceros, elephant and Cape buffalo.
- Morning free for shopping, sleeping, sightseeing, etc.
- 3:00 p.m. depart for Johannesburg International Airport for 6:35 p.m. flight via South African Airways to Acura, Ghana arriving 10:35 p.m.
- Check-in Holiday Inn Hotel, Acura.
- Travel by motor coach to Cape Coast.
- Tour the dungeons of the Cape Coast Castle and Elmina Castle built by the British and Portuguese to hold African captives before being sent to the America’s in the barbaric Trans-Atlantic Slave trade.
- Walk on the “canopy walkway’ over the Kakum National part to experience a rare tropical a rare tropical rain forest and learn about the cultural and social values of the trees to the people.
- Overnight in Cape Coast.
- Depart Cape Coast for Kumasi, Ghana.
- Visit the Kumasi cultural centre and the Manyiah palace museum for a guided tour into Ashanti Culture.
- Overnight in Kumasi.
- Visit the craft villages of Ahiwiaa for wood carvings, Ntonso for traditional adinkra cloth where you can also make your own patterns.
- Visit the world famous kente weaving village of Bonwire to purchase souvenirs, etc.
- Visit Du Bois centre Memorial for Pan-African Culture.
- Drive through downtown Accra for a visit to Kwame Nkrumah Park, shopping at the arts centre.
- Depart for Accra International airport for 11:20 p.m. South African airways flight to Johannesburg, arriving at 6:05 a.m.
- 9:35 a.m. depart Johannesburg for Durban, arriving at 10:40 a.m.
- Check-in hotel along two-mile beaches of the Indian Ocean.
- Day free for shopping, relaxing on the Indian Ocean beaches, sightseeing, etc.
- Free day.
- Depart Durban on the 9:00 a.m. South African airways flight to Cape Town, arriving at 11:10 a.m.
- Check-in hotel and tour the Victoria Wharf Mall and dinner.
- Depart early for the interior guided tour of Robben Island where President Mandela spent the majority of his prison time.
- Afternoon free.
- Wine tasting of all the great wines of South Africa in the Stellenbosch Vineyards.
- Tour to Cape Point where the Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean meet at the southern tip of Africa.
- DDK departure dinner in Cape Town.
- Depart for Cape Town airport for the 12:00 noon flight to Johannesburg, arriving at 1:55 p.m.
- Transfer to Delta Airlines for 7:55 p.m. non-stop flight to Atlanta, GA arriving at 5:30 a.m.